Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Keeping The Main Thing, The Main Thing this Christmas





What is it about Christmas that brings so many hidden emotions to the surface?  Family issues ...

How do you handle your thought process through this time?

How do you balance your heights of happiness when the kids come home then the ultimate low when they leave?

How do you reconcile your life choices that affected your children and your time with them?

I am reflecting on these questions as this season comes to a close.  I am remaining mindful of where I allow my thoughts to take me.  

Many times in situations that have all the marks of heightened emotions, if I'm not careful, I listen and assess and assign meaning to what is said in ways that are not accurate (they are not accurate because I have Jesus).

For example; I live on a farm in rural Missouri, USA and my children are grown.  When they came for a visit yesterday, I listened to their conversations about life goals, places to see, things to do and people they have visited who have an 'ideal' set up.  An 'ideal' set up is a home near the beach, a garden, perfect weather and an easy bike ride to a job that you enjoy.


Well I live far from any of those things, in fact; my life looks rather boring to them ... because to 'stay' here would be 'awful' ... as in 'no way would I want to stay for a few days and help on the farm', says one adult child.  

There are many opportunities to become bitter as this visit with me was very short compared to their family members in the city.  

For example; I receive photos of my child with other family members where they are participating in MANY family activities, like decorating the Christmas tree, shopping, playing games, attending concerts ... 
and it stings...
but I am thankful...
such a mix of emotion.

Yesterday's visit was, in other words, an obligatory visit.(This is actually a sort of pay-back from what I fought in my 20-somethings; like when my parents and in-laws wanted 'more time' with me at Christmas and I didn't make that happen.)

Now, I must say this is not true for both of my children, I had a sweet; long visit by one of my children for which I am blessed.

I am not trying to speak badly of my 20-something child, all of us have been there, where 'going home' was boring; but it is difficult to separate myself from the situation and the words.  I contemplate my life choices ...

But then~

I remember ~ 2Peter1:3-11 ~ where I am growing in knowing Him and in doing this I also know I am given everything I need ... Praise God!!


May God give you more and more grace and peace as you grow in your knowledge of God and Jesus our Lord.

Growing in Faith

By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence. And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires.
****
"escape the world's corruption caused by human desires"
****
In view of all this, make every effort to respond to God’s promises. Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, and moral excellence with knowledge,and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with patient endurance, and patient endurance with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love for everyone.
The more you grow like this, the more productive and useful you will be in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But those who fail to develop in this way are shortsighted or blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their old sins.
****
"the more you grow like this, the more productive and useful you will be"
****
10 So, dear brothers and sisters,[c] work hard to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen. Do these things, and you will never fall away. 11 Then God will give you a grand entrance into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
These are the behaviors I must demonstrate to respond to God's promises;
moral excellence 
knowledge with self-control 
patient endurance 
godliness with brotherly affection and love

Not; covetousness, jealousy, envy, loneliness, shame

May our behavior display these essential characteristics this Christmas so we 
'will never fall away and God will give us a grand entrance into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!!!'







No comments:

Post a Comment