Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Mercy

Ugly Beautiful ~ I sit today in my office chair knowing that many whom I love are in crisis today.

Broken hearts

Uncertain futures

Illnesses that require months of treatment

The inabilities of aging 

This notion, that with mercy there is no judgment.  
To be in an intimate relationship, we must be vulnerable;  
And, as a human, we are sinners and we are going to see 'the ugly'.

This is why Gary Thomas says "my attitude toward another's sin will determine, in large part, the degree of intimacy we can achieve ... A Pharisee might impress ... but he'll never get truly close ... 


Because judgment repels intimacy as surely as heat melts ice."
Oh, help me Lord ...

There is a reason you came into this world as a vulnerable baby.

Because, in my flesh, I want to judge, I want to pay-back when a loved one is hurt ...


~~~~

When we suffer, when we watch our children suffer--as a mom--I know I join David in lamenting "O Lord, why do you stand so far off?  Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble?" (Psalm 10:1)
And
"How long, O Lord?  Will  you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me?  How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart?  How long will my enemy triumph over me?" (Psalm 13:1-2)

Ann talks about this in her book 1000 Gifts, she says as she was sitting in the waiting room with her son (who had an injury), she was asking God why.  Why all these hurts?

The answer she shares in her book;


"He takes the empty hands and draws me close to the thrum of Love.  'You may suffer loss but in Me is anything ever lost, really? Isn't everything that belongs to Christ also yours?  Loved ones lost still belong to Him--then aren't they still yours?  Do I not own the cattle on a thousand hills; everything?  Aren't then all provisions, in Christ also yours?  If you haven't lost Christ, child, nothing is ever lost.  Remember  through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of For (Acts 14:22) and in  sharing in my Son's sufferings  becoming like him in his death you come to know Christ and the power of his resurrection. (Phil 3:10).

 If you haven't lost Christ, child, nothing is ever lost.


From Ellie Holcomb "As Sure As the Sun"https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VuGmcCK7T_c
(I pray you will listen to this song)

She was at the Gift of Christmas Event in Tulsa last week with Ann Voskamp and Amena Brown, we were blessed to be able to receive from them the message of the gift of Christmas from the front row!!

(That's Ann Voskamp!! Talking to us after the event!)

Gary Thomas  reminds me that we are imperfect, and very fallible, prone-to-mess-up sinned saved by mercy.  Our sin and guilt are so powerful that, absent mercy, every human relationship will fall ...  

"You can self-righteously judge every person who has ever lived.  You can prove his or her guilt in a court of law.  You can compellingly state your case and clearly demonstrate how far they have fallen short--but the judgment you render will kill the intimacy and it won't kill the sin."
From James 2:13--"Judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful.  Mercy triumphs over judgment!"

Lord help me to be the person who loves mercy and grow eager to show mercy to others.  Help me to forgive like God is eager to forgive.

No comments:

Post a Comment