Friday, April 24, 2015

Urgency

(Can you see the squirrel ... now this is an urgent situation ... our dogs Eli and Buck)

Phases of life bring different levels of urgency.

Think about when you rode your first bicycle ... 
[getting your balance -- wobbly front tire at first -- urgency]

Your drivers license ... 
[parallel parking -- urgency]

Your first date .... 
[preparing and waiting for your first impression -- urgency]

Marriage and Wedding .... 
[placing your commitment, trust and faith for all see -- urgency]

Childbirth .... 
[not understanding, but doing it anyway -- urgency]

Your first 'career' job and 'true' paycheck ... 
[it's that 'pinch-yourself-moment'; did I really earn this; am I really doing this -- urgency]

Your aging parents and their care...

All phases of life.

All of these events follow with a particular sequence of thinking and action.  First you have some sort of perception about what that event is; either you watched someone ride a bike or you attend a wedding--your brain created a picture.  

Next you prepare for the actual experience yourself.  You might study to pass your driver's test, read a book on childbirth or take a class.  

Finally, the actual 'doing' part of this event includes matching up your perception or picture with your preparedness and moving into actually doing it.

My most recent discoveries include those events with which you cannot prepare.  My perception (or picture) and preparedness really don't align.  I remember leaving my first childbirth class when we watched 'the birthing video' and getting in the car with my husband saying (tears running down my cheeks) "I can't do that!" ... I was eight months pregnant at the time -- urgency.

Recently, there have been life events that required of me things I would have thought I could never do .... but I have.  Remembering 1 Peter 4:19 "So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good." The footnote in my bible reads; God created the world, and he has faithfully ordered it and kept it since the creation.  Because we know that God is faithful we can count on him to fulfill his promises to us.  If God can oversee the forces of nature, surely he can see us through the trials we face.

This is one of those life events that brings with it a sense of urgency.  Roles are reversed, and exhaustion is not allowed.  Standing in the gap where I'm not sure I can, but I know God can.  A close friend of mine said to me "You're being Jesus to them."

Today I went jogging, after a much-needed nap while in the mist of this life event and listened to Don Moen as I ran, praising The Lord.  I want to share my thoughts and feelings with the lyrics of his song "Here we are" 

Here we are lifting our hands to You
Here we are giving You thanks for all You do
As we praise and worship Your holy name
You are here, dwelling within our praise


[Notice ... giving You thanks for ALL You do]


For every answer prayer
For always being there
For love that hears us when we call
For arms that lift us when we fall

[Especially needed these words this day--always being there]


Oh, You have always been right beside us
Leading us all along the way
And we made it through
Because of You


[Because of You ~ Lord]

For days we cannot see
For all that yet to be

[Preparing us for the future]

The trials we may have to face
When we'll be leaning on Your grace
It will be Your strength that saves us
Your love that makes us strong


[Notice ... Leaning on Your grace ... nothing about me or my abilities/effort]


So my journey in this life event begins ... may the perceived need for urgency be replaced with the peace and grace beyond my understanding ... to strengthen and share You Lord.  Amen.















No comments:

Post a Comment