Friday, December 4, 2015

Elderly Parent Living with You



We have the wonderful opportunity and blessing to bring a parent into our home due to memory needs.  This decision was and is a prayerful one that did not come as easily for me as it did my husband (whose Mother is living with us).  I want to share some quick thoughts if ever you find yourself with this opportunity and insights as we progress.


First and foremost my heart and thinking had to be changed; from immediate to eternal.  

Our first extended visit when we were considering this, my frustration was getting the best of me. I remember saying to God (while standing in my kitchen) this is NOT what I had in mind just one year after my retirement! The next thing I experienced was the feeling you would have when a bucket of cold water is poured over your head. And these words were spoken to my heart with a vision of our family member in heaven - arms extended to me - she was returned to her 'full self', beautiful in every way - "Cindy, I know what you did for me".  I fell on my knees sobbing and saying aloud 'ok Lord I get it -- ok! I am sorry.'

I cannot tell you how much peace I have had since then and how many people have spoken into my life about the blessings of caring for elderly family members - further confirmation.

I hope you will check back as I will be sharing more about this adventure in life.

Blessings friends. Oh, and sorry for being away for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment