Sunday, January 1, 2017

Retired Too Early

Here I sit on New Years Day 2017 with three years of retirement behind me. If you are retired, or are contemplating retirement, it is my hope to shine some light on what to expect and perhaps what you might choose to do if you are feeling a bit lost in retirement.


After a few decades of hard work, following college or years of training, you might find yourself adding up the years and calculating the pay/benefits ahead of you in retirement.  It is an exciting new life, full of possibility.  

DOESN'T PAY TO STAY


In the teaching profession, there comes a time when it 'doesn't pay' to stay.  Once your years are in, all you need to do now is self-assess. 

Some things I considered; 
*Stress 
*Physical effects of continuing
*Enjoying your students as you teach
*Have I become that teacher who complains during the meetings?
Once self-assessing is over, and the obvious choice is to retire, you have to make decisions about health, dental and vision insurance - whether or not to continue coverage through your school district.  For me, it would have been approximately $900 per month to continue coverage for my husband and I. 

THE GAP


There is a gap for those who retire 'young' and have several years before you are eligible for Medicare.  I tried taking on part-time jobs to earn the monthly amount needed for health insurance.  


Again, I had to assess what I was doing;
*Is this bringing in enough income to be worthy of the time I am investing?
*Am I valued and able to contribute in my gifts.
GAS IN THE TANK


Once I was fully rested from the years of teaching and acclimated to my new life of retirement, I found myself with what I would call 'brain space'.  (I still had gas in the tank.)  My life was full, but my brain was bored, and I became unsettled.  
While caring for our parents as they age, it became obvious to me that we only have a certain amount of time where we are able to work and contribute.  

SMALL CIRCLE OF INFLUENCE ~ CHANGE OF THINKING 


I think in decades;

In our 30's we are starting our families, getting established in our career, taking on the world and at the front end of making big purchases. 

In our 40's we are raising our children, working, paying bills and building our life as a family while starting to realize how difficult it is to affect change on a large scale.  What becomes foremost in our day is getting everyone off to school and work, raising a family.

In our 50's our children are gone and we realize each of us have had some influence in a particular area where we can affect change, but realize it is a small circle of influence.  


For example; 
During one year of my teaching career, the school building was undergoing a remodel and my classroom was moved to a garage.  I could have taken that news and become bitter.  But, I knew it was temporary and I could 'affect change' for those students in that situation, for that time.  We took complete advantage of the garage door - when it was hot outside or when it was beautiful outside - we made the best of it.   
SECOND CAREER


With this new information, I began to pray and seek what the Lord might have for me.  I applied and was offered a teaching position in Alaska (Kodiac Island), but chose to decline the offer.  Shortly after that, another opportunity became available in the professional area I had 30+ years experience.  It was as if I had been preparing for this new career all these years.

WORDS OF WISDOM


As a 50+ woman, do not accept that you are being 'put out to pasture' if you choose to retire. 


Explore other opportunities in your retirement.  

This second career is different, in that I am working with a new view and motivation.

Use the obstacles you might face to bring you the courage to start something new.  


I am finding that with age comes wisdom, and much less drama (something that is very attractive for employers). If there's a conflict or huge issue, we have made it through worse and 
'It is what it is'. It will not ruin me.
Be encouraged and don't let your brain get bored.  


Remember, we all play and important part in this life and each one of us can affect change, even if it’s small.   



Be thankful for the opportunity if you find yourself embracing second career, DO NOT be afraid! You've got this!!



No comments:

Post a Comment