Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Back in the Saddle

Yes, it happened....I did it!!  I got back on a horse.  Notice I said "A horse".


My husband sent a few of our horses to be trained.  Monday, they returned them after 30 days of work.  Sugar, our youngest horse, was one of those horses and now is considered to be 'broken'.  As I listened to the conversation between trainer and husband I heard words like lowered her head, bending her neck, cautious, attentive, quick to catch on, thoughful and that got my attention.

A part of me feels 'disloyal' to Nitro, but Sugar has my attention.  As I watched the trainer saddle her and ride her next to our other horse (my husband rode Jewels who just returned from training also) I became courious.  Then I thought, my husband has a plan, he will want me to ride Sugar.  Here's where there is a choice and a risk.  

What will I do?  If I try to ride Sugar, will she be 'steady' or will she move as I mount her? Will I be able to trust and move out of this fear?  My husband is watching and has gone to all this trouble I should at least try.  
Or ... remain in my fear and stay at this place.


Life is a lot like this.  


My husband and I have been placed in situations lately where we have witnessed people who choose to remain in pain and relationally stuck.   In the book Sacred Influence by Gary Thomas he introduces me to functional fixedness which is a man's reluctance to change.  This is where there is no change if what we've been doing seems to be working.  "In order for him to change, it needs to be more compelling than your (his wife's) unhappiness or private misery with the situation."  

For me, this is applicable with my husband and adult son (the male brain). Too many times, I have used words to describe how what they were doing makes me feel.  I am learning that the more I assert myself, he senses that I am trying to "take over."  So his response is to get defensive, and stay functionally fixed.  So, here's the key ~ read about submission; Genesis 3:16, 1 Corinthians 11:3, Ephesians 5:22-32, Colossians 3:18-19 and 1 Timothy 2:12-14.  

I can feel your withdrawing disapproval of my saying anything about submission ladies, but you have to understand the true meaning .... how God intended ... the complementarian role for us.    

Gary Thomas says "your husand will change as you allow him to be head of his home and as you are submissive to him.  He will not change by your nagging, belittling, suggesting, reminding, or mothering."


Back to Sugar, the horse ... you know, the reason this blog was started ... horses ... yes I rode her.  She and I took a couple of laps around the arena and we did just fine :-)


I hope you see the connection and find encouragement as you read God's word. 

Please ... Post a comment ~ I think it works now.

Blessings





2 comments:

  1. Good post! I'm looking forward to reading more and keeping up with you through your blog!

    ReplyDelete