Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Colonoscopy made 'easy'


I will bet very few people will read this post unless they are preparing to have this test, which is recommended for 50+ people.  It is the day before this procedure and I'm going to tell you all about it.

As a woman who has had 2 natural births, one mis-carriage and many paps smears, mammograms and preventative exams; I am thinking this is a precaution as my age has brought this on, just as many others.  My dear friend's mom had colon cancer and to this day continues with those health issues.  My mom has diverticulitis and I am moving forward with this to do my best to keep both from happening to me if at all possible.

So, if you are like me and you want to know what to expect and how to make this as easy as possible, I have decided to describe as tastefully as possible this process.

Step ONE--The physician calls you on the phone to schedule the day ~ mine is tomorrow, June 10.

Step TWO--You will receive a phone call where they ask you health questions, go over the process and you pick up your 'prescription' with all instructions attached the next day.

Step THREE--purchase items to get you through one full day on only clear liquids.  (I purchased jello and a few more items), and pick up prescription.

Step FOUR--eat your last meal (I awoke early, had a good breakfast).  My procedure is in the morning at 7:00 am.

Step FIVE--prepare jello and add water to 'the jug'.  This is a gallon-sized plastic jug with a dry substance in it.  I am not a doctor, so I leave the medical stuff up to them.  If you want the official name for the stuff it is PEG-3350/KCL/SOD Lemon-Lime 4000ML

I'm SOOOO looking forward to drinking all of that!!

Step SIX--Do not eat anything until 5:00 pm before your procedure, then drink a 6-8 ounce glass every 15 minutes until 1/2 of the container is consumed.  Four hours prior to your departure time, drink a 6-8 ounce glass every 15 minutes until the remaining 1/2 of the container is consumed.  You must have the drink completed at least 2 hours prior to your arrival.  I am to arrive at 7 am, so lets do the math.

By 5 am I must have consumed the entire jug.  Let's say it will take 6 glasses to finish this off, so I'm up at 3 am drinking the rest of this stuff.  Now I am wondering about travel, it takes us 30 minutes to get to the doctors office, so I should start the drinking at 2:30 am --- YIKES!!

It is 8:13 am now June 9 .... and I have been up since 5:30 am .... so I will add to this post later.


Now it is almost noon and I am doing okay, just finished off my jello!  Here are some of the items you are allowed to have; apple juice, low sodium chicken or beef broth, tea, coffee, sodas honey, popsicles and plain hard candy; nothing RED in color.

I must admit that I became very cranky between 12 noon and 5, and my husband deserves all the credit for getting me through that time ... I'm ashamed to admit that I am an ugly 'faster'.


It is approaching 5:00 pm now, and that is when I have to start drinking the liquid.  I have decided to pour it into glasses measuring 8 ounces per glass, and that way I can see my progress.  

First I poured 1/2 the jug into a container to decrease the large liquid amount perception and then I measured out the portions to be taken in every 15 minutes until they were gone.  

The last two glasses were very difficult to get down, and I became very cold as I completed the task.  The 'cycle' was complete by approximately 9:00 pm and I took a warm bath, then off to bed with my alarm set for 2:30 am to finish off the last 1/2 of the drink.  

I slept fairly well, and found the second half of the jug more difficult to consume, but I did so by 4:00 am.  Once 6:00 am came, I was definitely 'prepared' for the exam.

I took a quick shower, took off my wedding rings and wore comfortable clothes.  I would have liked to have had footies from home if I had to do it over again, my feet were cold.

Now at the office, they check you in with your driver, attach the wrist band and take you to a small hospital-like room.  You put on the hospital gown, the nurse takes your vitals and starts an IV.  By 8:00 am I was taken to the exam room where I met the doctor who explained the procedure and had me sign the release form.

The next thing I knew, they placed a nose device for me to breath through and then gave me the drug to put me to sleep which also has a medicine that makes you forget the procedure.

Finally, I'm back in my room where I started eating a cracker and drinking juice.  They talked to my husband about the findings (which were excellent!! Praise God!!) and I heard them say "we won't need to see you in another 10 years".

We are home by 10:00 am and all is well.

I hope this helps simplify this procedure as colon cancer is pretty much symptomless and this procedure also detects many other health issues that can be treated before they take your life.  So, drink the stuff and just do it!! 

Thank you my dear dear husband for praying for me and staying with me through this.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I was googling PEG-3350/KCL /SOD LEMON-LIME 4000ML and came across your blog! I call it the "crude"! There's not a nice word for it! lol Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm having an upper & lower GI series in the morning. This is only the 2nd one I've had (first one was in 2000 and it's not something you look forward to having!) I'm glad your results turned out good! :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope 'crude' was not referring to my blog, but the procedure ....

      Thanks for your comment and reading my blog, I hope it was helpful and your results are good

      Delete
    2. LOL That should've been crud! And no not for your blog! lol There is no nice word for the prep meds! lol Thanks!

      Delete