Saturday, February 28, 2015

Realities of Life and Death



This last week has been full of realities that in my hurried, working and raising kids world I didn't 'see' in my 'former' life.

My husband and I had the wonderful opportunity to sing and pray with a brother in Christ who is now with The Lord.  The life of following Christ was evident as his wife celebrated his life with us, describing how and why he liked the hymns she chose for us to sing to him.  

She would whisper to him 'it's ok ~ go to Jesus'.  What a difference it makes ... knowing.

Then later in the week my husband had the opportunity to share his testimony at Victory Mission.  The room was packed as it has been very cold this week and those desiring a meal were required to attend a service in their chapel.  I would guess there were over 100 people in that room.  The eyes of these people were shy, and easily withdrew ~ but if you looked at them, really looked and greeted them, they responded warmly.

The service began with hymn choices and singing.  One lady blurted out that they were choosing different hymns tonight because "it's always the same thing".  Then my husband spoke.  The coughing and chatter lessened and the more real he became the more engaged they were.  At one moment when he was talking about trust a lady raised her hand and said "Sir, Sir ... Has your mom ever turned you in to your P.O. officer?"  And at that moment it became real for her.

He asked "how many of you were beaten as a kid?"  Almost every hand went up ... and then it got real for most everyone in the room.  He moved into forgiveness and healing ... then to the saving grace of God our true Father.  They were very attentive and received like a dry sponge thirsty for water.

I thought, 'Wow', this family who invited my husband to speak has been bringing their family to serve these people for over 10 years now.  What an impact they made on their children's perception of people and those they served.

We ended our week at a visitation.  This lady was an Aunt of a dear friend of ours who raised him.  There laid her body in the casket.  The end of a life, but we all gather ... she's not there, she's with The Lord, yet we gather together to make it real ~ the passing.

I remember when a neighbor of ours who lives in a Mennonite community lost their child.  We were invited.  I dressed in all black, sat on the 'ladies' side of the church, men on the other side and participated in the ceremony.  We would turn and kneel bowing over the seat of the pew, then sing without accompaniment.  At the conclusion of the ceremony, inside, one by one people passed the family seated in the front of the church ... the mother, holding the child in her arms.  This was odd to me, but I participated.  Then we followed everyone outside and they buried the child in the ground right there, the family did the shoveling ... finally, the meal.  

These events and life-happenings made me realize the importance of 'seeing'.  The realness of life is in the 'seeing'.

I guess what I'm trying to share is the reality of life, the REALNESS of it all and how we can live, while we are here, and how we leave is our choice.  I thought about the Christians being killed along that beach and I heard that though they were videoing the event those being killed praised their Lord and Savior to the end!  

What was meant for evil, God used to proclaim Him .. Genesis 50:20 
'You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.'

They were 'seen'....
It was real ...

No comments:

Post a Comment