Friday, January 17, 2014

Seeing and Believing What is Real

Aging... true or false

It's a hard one--to age and to stay in the now....I look in the mirror and see the wrinkles, I look at others and see them aging---I hear all the ways to look younger and how to pretend.  Is it too harsh to see what is and to accept that we are just as we should be?  I wonder about how many people live in 'prentend-land'...like 'I'll think about that tomorrow, just share the soft and nice with me now'.  You know, join me in pretend land.  If you get "too real" they reject you or become defensive and lash out.  Only talk about how God is love....where will you spend eternity?  I have listened this week in the mornings on my way to work to 90.1 Bott Radio and there has been a theme.
 
My entire life has been about marketing and teaching.  My job has been to present information in the most desirable way....you know, dress it up, make it interesting.  I remember when I was a girl I had a problem with telling it as it really happened.  One time, in particular, I remember when construction workers were in our home and they would store their soda in our refrigerator.  Well, you see, my mom didn't allow soda (being the good mom she is).  So, these were twist off caps and each day I would sneak into the kitchen and take just the littlest sip from each bottle...making them even.  These men told my mom that there must be something wrong with our refrigerator because their soda was going flat by lunchtime.  My mom made me go to these two men and tell them I had been sneaking sips from their soda every day.  I was mortified!!! I cried and cried and was SO humiliated...but I learned my lesson.
 
So where do we go for the absolute truth?  What do we believe?  Do we accept that we are dieing and that God created us with limited life span?  Do we believe in the Bible? or (this is from James McDonald) do we think of the Bible as "an appetizer tray" where we pick just the things we like, or as "car insurance" it's probably needed but not necessarily mandatory, or is the bible like a 'seatbelt' where its the manufacturers fault; I don't really want to wear it, but I have to or that bell will sound, or an algebra equation where its really complicated and hard for me to understand and I just don't know how that's going to apply to my life.  So is the truth the truth ... the Bible the Word of God or not ... Is it the authority or not.  If it is the authority in my life it will stop me dead in my tracks.  It corrects my thinking (Matt 4:4), if we are being real with ourselves we would admit that we really don't want to be disciplined by what The Word says.
 
J. Vernon McGee talked about the difference between humbling ourselves and being humiliated.  Jesus humbled himself on the cross for us.  Dr. McGee described a man who was a very proud and proper guy that wanted everything on the outside to be perfect...so all who saw him would see a man who was put together and 'with it'.  He came to the podium where Dr. McGee was, to join him in front of the church, and he tripped...he was mortified (kinda like me when I was caught); kinda like us when we look in the mirror and see all those wrinkles and oh...that neck!!!  This man could not be humble but it sure was easy for him to be humiliated.
 
In Hebrews 11 the Faith chapter, it talks about being sure of what we hope for and CERTAIN of what we do not see.  Faiths beginning point is in Gods character--who He is and the ending point being Gods promises; what He will do.  He says; believing His promises even if we don't see them is a sign of faith.  As you obey God, don't be surprised if others regard you as 'different'.  Your obedience makes their disobedience stand out.  One more thought from this reading; Material things should be the least satisfying of rewards...and true faiths helps us see beyond the grave.
 
So if you are in a situation where you are stopped dead in your tracks, and during that time it seems painful; remember...The Lord disciples those who He loves; He is doing this so you can share in His holiness.  At the time of pain, remember it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. 
 
Who loves their child more? the parent who allows the child to do what will harm him, or the one who corrects, trains, and even punishes the child to help him learn what is right?
 
Go look in the mirror, time is a tickin'....be real with where you are, who you are....who is your authority?
 


1 comment: