Friday, March 14, 2014

Don't Give Praise During Disobedience

Disobedience

LESSON 9--Barn stall, storm, darkness, barking dog....

Is there is a difference between obedience, persistence and stubbornness?

So, its time for a lesson.  Nitro is in our "big--just found out it's a foaling stall" in the barn, it is raining outside and LeAnn is on her way....the fear is setting in, I'm wondering what in the world is she going to have me do with Nitro in this weather.  Our dog Eli is nervous, Nitro does not like the stall he is in and his eyes are wide, nostrils open wide too...snorting (in the horse world that is how they smell for danger).  So I wait; thunder, wind, rain....and LeAnn arrives.  She tells me to get in the stall with Niro.  I explain how that's not what I really feel comfortable doing...she tells me to do it anyway.

With trust comes obedience; I knew in my heart of hearts that LeAnn would not allow anything to harm me.  I also knew that she must have a plan.

Definition of Obedience;  compliance with an order, request, or law or submission to another's authority.
Definition of Persistence; firm or obstinate continuance in a course of action in spite of difficulty or opposition.
Definition of Stubbornness; unreasonably obstinate, fixed or set in purpose or opinion; resolute, obstinately maintained, as a course of action 

In my life thus far, I must say that I have had much more experience with the last two terms then the first.  In fact, stubbornness was passed down as a 'good' quality (at least one that is discussed in a light-hearted...Man, is she stubborn...way, ~giggles`).  As I have grown older, I am finding that a bit more obedience would have served me better.

I'm in the stall now (this is the stall where dead animals have been...there is absolute darkness, except when the lightning bolts hit, and all I hear is Nitro snorting).  LeAnn tells me to touch Nitro's forehead, right between his eyes.  She says, go on....step toward him....and when I obey, Nitro turns away...she says loudly (Eli barks...thanks a lot) STOP!  I freeze, then Nitro turns back to look at me, LeAnn says GO..., repeat above activity over and over...this is a never-ending process.  Finally, LeAnn has had enough; she gets in the stall.  
(This is Eli)

Funny observation;  when LeAnn shows up -- it's the same reaction my students have when there is the 'real teacher' vs. 'the substitute teacher'.  LeAnn is the 'real teacher'.  Nitro immediately perks up, and gives LeAnn undivided attention.

The lesson is that when Nitro doesn't give LeAnn his head, she does not pursue him (when he is demonstrating stubbornness or persistence in his undesired behavior).  He has to choose to give LeAnn his head, he has to demonstrate obedience.....hmmmm

So as I allow my weakness to show... (Ps.31;12)  "The weaknesses we often despise are required for the light of Christ to be seen and for the darkness around us to be dispelled.  Without the limitations and deficiencies of our vessels, we would not serve our purpose well." from Gideon bible study by Priscilla Shirer.

All my life I have thought that my physical strength and stubbornness for my children to 'be okay' was necessary.  As I age I am finding out that my salvation is a result of my weakness and obedience (sometimes blind obedience--the kind of obedience very few people in my life understand; especially those who have known me my entire life).  In the study of Gideon I am learning that his primary mission was to dismantle the nation's misplaced loyalty to their idol.  Baalism was based on a belief system that said miracles were impossible;  and as a boy, Gideon was taught that God may have created everything, but the world was kept functioning by the simple, impersonal processes of nature (Cindy, acting in her own strength and effort).  The universe, a Baalist would subscribe, was self-sustaining, with no eternal Being actively involved in supporting and maintaining it.  So when he asked God for the fleece to stay dry while lying on a patch of dew-infused ground, this refuted the processes of logic and one of the most critical elements of Baalism. (From Gideon bible study by Priscilla Shirer).

I have to admit to you that there has been some Baalism beliefs in my past.

Back to the horse lesson, LeAnn explained to me that 'you don't pet the dog when he's on your nice sofa if you don't want him on your nice sofa, right?'  So you don't give praise during disobedience or after it.  I had to really think about this concept and how it relates to my relationships.  I must say that my default has always been to 'give lip service' and then 'pet the dog when he's on my couch' ~ then complain about how badly my dog behaves ~ or ignore the behavior all together and create a picture in my mind that is more pleasing....not what is real.

In the book Devotions for A Sacred Marriage, Gary Thomas talks about "one bad habit" and how "we fail to see that one hole can sink a ship as effectively as can ten holes; it may take a little longer, but the ship will still sink."  So my question to you is are you being Obedient, Persistent or Stubborn?  Are you creating a picture in your head of your life that 'looks' great, and in reality it isn't.  Have you allowed Satan to disguise himself in your efforts to 'save' your family and in the process you have given yourself up to go down with the ship?  

Are you a Baalistic? 

Sometimes, as Ann Voskamp says;

"Taking the path of most resistance often leads to the most reward. 
and 
If you track a man's time you hunt down what he worships."



No comments:

Post a Comment